Top 5 Best and Fairest

1. Tom Lynch
2. Jarrod Harbrow
3. Jack Martin
4. Steven May
5. Aaron Hall

2016 Rising Star Noms

Peter Wright (Round 15)

Ins – Ben Ainsworth, Jack Scrimshaw, Will Brodie, Jack Bowes, Brad Scheer, Jarryd Lyons, Pearce Hanley, Jarrod Witts

Outs – Nick Malcseki, Seb Tape, Luke Russell, Danny Stanley, Tom Keough, Clay Cameron, Henry Schade, Jarrod Garlett, Dion Prestia, Jaeger O'Meara

My Prediction

The team that won the draft. You could make a strong argument they did ok in the trade period as well. On potential they lost a great player in Jaeger but who knows if he will be allowed to reach that potential, they also lost a very good player with Prestia leaving. Lyons and Hanley though are two very good ins.

When we look at the backline, it looks sorta solidish. They have some talls with Day, Thompson and May, perhaps could use another KP back as they are light on with depth. They have good half back running players with Harbrow, Kolodjashnij, Hanley and Saad. There is enough talent to form a serviceable backline, I think we should see them improve there this year.

Hard to believe that they are already in the middle of a rebuild with the midfield being the main focus. They had so much talent. Ablett could be finished, they need a good year from him but it has been a while now. Rischitelli has surprised and they have drafted some "A Grade" talent this year but they are one of the worst midfields going around especially if Ablett isnt right and who knows what is happening with Swallow's body. Lyons will give support to Hall with Miller and Martin still developing but hard to get excited. That being said, if they keep this years draft pool together and develop them properly it could all change quickly.

Nicholls isnt a terrible ruckman but hard to get excited about him either. I think Witts was an astute pick up as he looks relatively natural forward and will allow them to play to ruckmen.

Their forward line is the good. Wright has plenty of improvement left, Lynch is fantastic and I think Ainsworth could have an immediate impact. Matera cops it a bit but still very serviceable as a small forward. Witts will support well as a resting ruckman as well. Mostly I think they just need better support from the midfield and more delivery.

Who knows what to make of Eade. Has the feeling that he will be very lucky to be coaching in 2018. I always thought of him as a tough no nonsense sort of coach but right now I am not sure I see the passion I would want if he was coaching us. He certainly doesnt appear to have taken the team forward.

Unless Ablett suddenly finds his form of four years ago and their draftees go nuts, I dont think they can make the finals. I do think they should move up the ladder though. There is enough talent and enough natural improvement that they could finished somewhere between 10 and 12.

Comments

• I think GCSs are being very underrated. The two players the lost have barely played the last 18 months. Ablett will never be the same, but if Eade is smart he will sneak him into the FP and watch him dine out on opposition backlines to the tune of 60-80 goals for the year.

Their tall bookends are awesome, two of the draftees in ainsworth and Brodie are ready to start now and they have a truckload of talent still on their list.

The big problem is and will continue to be injuries. IMHO a healthy year on the injury front puts them right in contention for finals.

Their game style of run off half back and a truckload of talent in the forward line will see them improve a bunch.
  • Houli DooliHouli Dooli Half Forward Flanker
    Gold Coast Best 22
    B:Harbrow May Saad
    HB: Kolodjashnij Thompson Hanley
    C: Martin Hall Lyons
    HF: Matera Lynch AhChee
    F:Ainsworth Day Wright
    R: Nicholls Ablett Swallow
    Int: Miller Rosa Brodie Rischetelli
    Emg: Bowes, Davis, Lonergan

Eades will have to try and not play all these shiny new exciting players so they dont break.

They actually have some pretty handy small defenders now - harbrow, Saad, Kolodashnij, Hanley.
    Their Key position players arent bad. Wright, Lynch, May all good.....Jury out on Day and Thompson IMO.
    Midfield will lose injury prone O'Meara and Prestia, so no big loss from last year.

I can see Bowes, Brodie, Ainsworth all getting good game time. as they are all ready for AFL.
    Forwardline might work well with addition of Ainsworth and all the young forwards coming through together.
    You should be posiitive if a suns supporter. with concessions future looks bright, if they killed the draft, (and kids wanna stay)
    If Ablett plays injury free, and Swallow can get back to his best they are finals bound. If these guys miss lots of games, they should finish outside the eight, but have some good wins, and play more exciting and attacking footy with all the kids. Eades might keep his contract, even if they miss finals.

Prediction 10th
  • bottom 4
  • I wouldn't be surprised if they finished top eight. It's going to be hard with quite a few teams such as Essendon, St Kilda, Melbourne and Fremantle expected to climb the ladder, but they have the bones of a very good side. People are underrating them because they have been hit so hard by injury over the last two years.
  • True_Value_BlitzerTrue_Value_Blitzer Irrelevant. Always
    They look reasonably strong and paper, and you'd have to think will improve - if they don't it's probably goodnight for Rodney at some stage.

9th-12th imo
  • I think they'll improve a lot - after they have sacked their coach.

Do they sack him early and try and salvage a decent year or do it later and pick up some more good young talent?

I'd do it early as removing a dinosaur and getting a few wins on the board might encourage a few more young players to stick around.
  • Saad harbrow and Hanley. Some serious wheels in that lot, you could build a game plan around that, a good holding/workmanlike midfield and some dominant key forwards.

Did they end up with Barlow?

May surprise if the group gets a sniff and their tails up
  • Gold Coast Best 22
    B:Harbrow May Saad
    HB: Kolodjashnij Thompson Hanley
    C: Martin Hall Lyons
    HF: Matera Lynch AhChee
    F:Ainsworth Day Wright
    R: Nicholls Ablett Swallow
    Int: Miller Rosa Brodie Rischetelli
    Emg: Bowes, Davis, Lonergan

Eades will have to try and not play all these shiny new exciting players so they dont break.

They actually have some pretty handy small defenders now - harbrow, Saad, Kolodashnij, Hanley.
    Their Key position players arent bad. Wright, Lynch, May all good.....Jury out on Day and Thompson IMO.
    Midfield will lose injury prone O'Meara and Prestia, so no big loss from last year.

I can see Bowes, Brodie, Ainsworth all getting good game time. as they are all ready for AFL.
    Forwardline might work well with addition of Ainsworth and all the young forwards coming through together.
    You should be posiitive if a suns supporter. with concessions future looks bright, if they killed the draft, (and kids wanna stay)
    If Ablett plays injury free, and Swallow can get back to his best they are finals bound. If these guys miss lots of games, they should finish outside the eight, but have some good wins, and play more exciting and attacking footy with all the kids. Eades might keep his contract, even if they miss finals.

Prediction 10th

Aaron Hall?