The continuing death of journalism

Comments

• sorfed said:

Just clicked back on to the article "Shameful hounding of James Hird has taken a terrible toll, says Graham Cornes"
    Surprisingly all the comments (most of them none too flattering) have disappeared.

Comments....blackboard for the unwashed more like it.

Herald Sun has a nice article on Kobe Mutch today. "Bomber champion guiding Mutch" A story about Kobe being mentored by Jobe. How'd do you think the comments would go on that story. Of what purpose would be to make the comments box open for such a small story on a late draft pick?

It's obviously these online news organisations selectively open comment boxes on stories they want to stir up trouble and close them on stories they are compelled to report on yet want to go away...like negative stories on the Murdochs. Ever seen a comment box open on a Murdoch story?
  • Ahhh comments up and running for the Alan Hird story on the rAge site. Why? So the bullys and AFL PR machine can get a mouth piece while hiding in their anonymity.

Who'd admit being a "journalist" or work in "news" these days eh? May as well tell people you're a convicted con man. Less shame in that.
  • "The reason Sasha Obama missed her father's final speech as President"

"The real reason Sasha Obama missed her father's final speech as President"

I saw this on the tv news tonight. She missed cause she had exams the next day. Crazy headlines though. They aren't even hiding clickbait.
  • Captain JackCaptain Jack Long - Range Bomber
    Fatprick Smith reaches a new low, even for him, by justifying his previous article, the uncalled for (yet again) attack on Hird. The sooner this piece of **** is put out of work the better.
  • WinderlandWinderland King of the North
    I just watched the Amanda Knox doco on netflix. At the end a journalist who covered the story says words to the effect "People say it was trial by media and yeah looking back we printed some crazy, ridiculous stuff, but i dont buy it, l mean the demand for stories was intense and you cant expect us to verify everything we print. A lot of the stuff, how would you verify it, and besides if we took our time we would risk someone else breaking the story first."
    Well having a strong interest in a case doesn't mean i don't care if the story is not true. And it used to be if u can't verify from different sources you don't print. But that is obviously not the case anymore, the thirst for content now overides all other considerations.
  • DeckhamDeckham Going down swinging

I just watched the Amanda Knox doco on netflix. At the end a journalist who covered the story says words to the effect "People say it was trial by media and yeah looking back we printed some crazy, ridiculous stuff, but i dont buy it, l mean the demand for stories was intense and you cant expect us to verify everything we print. A lot of the stuff, how would you verify it, and besides if we took our time we would risk someone else breaking the story first."
    Well having a strong interest in a case doesn't mean i don't care if the story is not true. And it used to be if u can't verify from different sources you don't print. But that is obviously not the case anymore, the thirst for content now overides all other considerations.

MSM is not journalism, and hasn't been for a long time.
  • The Red and Black PartisanThe Red and Black Partisan Never Forget, Never Forgive.

I recently saw that show and thought the same thing, as that quote really stood out.

A certain witch, SWMNBN, once said it would be happy to have a story about 80% correct and be first, rather then be 100% correct and be second. The readers, of course, wouldn't know which 20% was lies, and probably it wouldn't know either.
  • ZimmerZimmer Put the pointy pencil in the pepper-po.
    edited January 27

I recently saw that show and thought the same thing, as that quote really stood out.

A certain witch, SWMNBN, once said it would be happy to have a story about 80% correct and be first, rather then be 100% correct and be second. The readers, of course, wouldn't know which 20% was lies, and probably it wouldn't know either.
    She also said it is her job to tell the public things they may not want to hear. Seems she's stuck true to that mo, to the degree she'll make stuff up in its name. She's a real Black panther that one. So brave to hide behind a credo that justifies blatant sensationalism.
  • I just watched the Amanda Knox doco on netflix. At the end a journalist who covered the story says words to the effect "People say it was trial by media and yeah looking back we printed some crazy, ridiculous stuff, but i dont buy it, l mean the demand for stories was intense and you cant expect us to verify everything we print. A lot of the stuff, how would you verify it, and besides if we took our time we would risk someone else breaking the story first."

"80% correct", huh? Have any of her crap opinion pieces ever got as high as that?
  • I just watched the Amanda Knox doco on netflix. At the end a journalist who covered the story says words to the effect "People say it was trial by media and yeah looking back we printed some crazy, ridiculous stuff, but i dont buy it, l mean the demand for stories was intense and you cant expect us to verify everything we print. A lot of the stuff, how would you verify it, and besides if we took our time we would risk someone else breaking the story first."

"80% correct", huh? Have any of her crap opinion pieces ever got as high as that?
    No, she said she'd be "happy" at around 80%. Have you ever seen her happy? She avoids happiness.
  • BacchusfoxBacchusfox Legs of a Champion
    With a face like a cracked mirror and a Ninthmond heritage, who the fark would ever be happy?
  • The rAGE has gone completely off tap since last Nov and I have a suspicion there will be a lot of this going on soon... ........ http://www.theage.com.au/national/apology-to-wal-king-ao-20170130-gu1v45.html
  • DeckhamDeckham Going down swinging

The rAGE has gone completely off tap since last Nov and I have a suspicion there will be a lot of this going on soon... ........ http://www.theage.com.au/national/apology-to-wal-king-ao-20170130-gu1v45.html

Please post texts not links. Pretty please.
  • Deckham said:

The rAGE has gone completely off tap since last Nov and I have a suspicion there will be a lot of this going on soon... ........ http://www.theage.com.au/national/apology-to-wal-king-ao-20170130-gu1v45.html

Please post texts not links. Pretty please.
    Apology to Wal King AO

75 reading now

facebook SHARE
    twitter TWEET
    email

On 3 October 2013, Fairfax Media published articles which alleged that during the time when Mr King was CEO of Leighton Holdings (ending in 2010) he knew of, and participated in, serious corporate misconduct involving bribery and corruption, including allegations that ..........
  • If you google Fairfax apologises you will find a raft of forced apologies, including for not proper fact checking and at least one to a court
  • ZimmerZimmer Put the pointy pencil in the pepper-po.
    Herald Sun, breaking the big stories:

"Horse headbutts girl during selfie".
  • Was it the horse doing the selfie?
  • Yeah, she's photobombed his picture in a hilariously light hearted, cross species accident.
  • BLOODSTAINED DEVILSBLOODSTAINED DEVILS Senior Player / Devils Advocate. - "Only The Truth Will Set Us Truly Free"
    When they say "Selfie" ...?? >:)
  • David J RichardsonDavid J Richardson Relevant Avatar King
    From the Goodes/Hird article in the Hun:

ambulance was called to his Toorak family home [in] early January.

his own highs and lows thought his stellar AFL career

he hoped the Don’s former coach had much need[ed] support

The Swan’s star and 2014 Australian of the Year, said he has battled depression

you are a wuss for doing that, We have to get past that stigma.

Fark me. Proofread much?
  • Could be an interesting report, but on one of the key questions:
    "The research found smoking weed did not appear to increase the likelihood of developing depression, anxiety or PTSD, with heavy cannabis smokers even more likely to report thoughts of suicide than non-users".

Maybe I'll have a toke or three and see if it makes any sense after that...

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/worlds-most-comprehensive-study-into-marijuana-delivers-controversial-findings/news-story/45ff90ce5dcab14496b3d75b3442c44d
  • Maybe not the continuing death of journalism, but Sophie Cape on ABC Australian Story suggests that the AIS may have been into forms of performance enhancement outside the WADA Code
    abc.net.au/austory
  • bigallan said:

Maybe not the continuing death of journalism, but Sophie Cape on ABC Australian Story suggests that the AIS may have been into forms of performance enhancement outside the WADA Code
    abc.net.au/austory

I'm sure it's all fine.
  • Yes , just a bit of minor surgery
  • bigallan said:

Maybe not the continuing death of journalism, but Sophie Cape on ABC Australian Story suggests that the AIS may have been into forms of performance enhancement outside the WADA Code
    abc.net.au/austory

This is old news but has never got public traction - It's often closed down.

• Hopes dashed that she had gone on permanent vacation, Sales back on 7.30 report
  • Do what I do and avoid the 7:30 SYD/ACT Gossip Show.
  • From the Goodes/Hird article in the Hun:

ambulance was called to his Toorak family home [in] early January.

his own highs and lows thought his stellar AFL career

he hoped the Don’s former coach had much need[ed] support

The Swan’s star and 2014 Australian of the Year, said he has battled depression

you are a wuss for doing that, We have to get past that stigma.

Fark me. Proofread much?
    You've actually missed one. In the third quote, it should be "Dons' former coach", not "Don's". He was coach of all the Dons, not just one of them.
  • David J RichardsonDavid J Richardson Relevant Avatar King
    True. He never got to coach Don Draper.