The continuing death of journalism

Comments

• ZimmerZimmer Put the pointy pencil in the pepper-po.
    Shopper caught on film kicking car in Eastland Shopping Centre carpark

Emma-Jayne Schenk, Maroondah Leader
    November 16, 2016 1:30pm

A DASH cam video showing a violent argument between a driver and erratic pedestrian at Eastland has gone viral.

The video showing a man yelling and kicking a car at the Ringwood centre’s carpark last Sunday has been viewed by more than 742,000 people in two days.

Two people can be seen slowly walking in front of a car before the driver toots her horn twice.

The man then turns around, sticks up his finger, and starts shouting at the driver.

She responds by yelling: “I was just being polite; I just gave you a little toot, that’s all ... What a rude pig you are.”

But the man continues to walk backwards in front of the car, staring at the woman before kicking the car twice and tripping over.

She yells “stupid b**tard” before the video cuts out.

It started with a toot to these shoppers ...
    A debate has broken out on the Dash Cam Owners Australia Facebook page, with many blaming the pedestrian for his “vile behaviour”.

Some even said she should have “run him over”.

“Pedestrians need to stop walking on the road like they’re bulletproof. Sure, they might have right of way, but they don’t have the right to walk down the middle of the road like they own it either,” Steve Rock said.

James Killingsworth said society “didn’t need people like this”.

“First kick he knocks himself off balance, then second kick he falls over. What a hero, but that’s Ringwood for you,” David Anderson said.

And ended with the car being kicked.
    Ben Peter Whiteway said similar incidents would only get worse as Christmas approached.

But some Facebookers defended the pedestrian, saying the driver overreacted.

“If you had just said, ‘I’m sorry I just wanted to let you know I was behind you’, you would of avoided this low life’s reaction,” Anthony Fulcher said.

Eastland said no incident had been reported to management.
  • David J RichardsonDavid J Richardson Relevant Avatar King
    Ummm… from what I saw she deliberately clipped him to prompt him to start kicking the car!

But I guess they had decided to write an anti-pedestrian/pro-motorist article, so left out the bits they didn’t need.
  • DeckhamDeckham Going down swinging
    Ben Peter Whiteway said similar incidents would only get worse as Christmas approached.

Really.
  • Alan_Noonan_10Alan_Noonan_10 Iconoclast and blasphemer
    F**kstick Ch 9 journo barges into the South African group at the airport trying to interview Faf, gets pushed out of the way, and then carries on about how hurt and upset he is.

Very aggressive the way he tried to shove the microphone into their faces, and I'm just sorry they didn't ram that dirty big microphone fair up his blurter.
  • DiggersDiggers Tank fly boss walk jam nitty-gritty
    When journalists fight back...

"Tigers reject calls Yarran recruitment a mistake"

This is why punctuation is important.
  • wimmera1wimmera1 You know I'm right.
    "The club has asked him to send it video footage of him kicking and marking."

• Alan_Noonan_10Alan_Noonan_10 Iconoclast and blasphemer
    edited November 2016
    Zimmer said:

Not sure this is a punctuation issue, but more the ambiguity about whether reject is a verb or a noun, ditto calls.

Adding a that and an is would help make it clearer.
  • Zimmer said:

Not sure this is a punctuation issue, but more the ambiguity about whether reject is a verb or a noun, ditto calls.

Adding a that and an is would help make it clearer.
    Tigers that reject calls (and the makover that will make them call you back).

Yarran recruitment is a mistake.

I've made two much more interesting headlines.
    For a start, sympathy for any family that has to endure such a situation, but seriously:

"Chris and Brad Scott's brother dies after tragic nut allergy death" (Herald-Sun)
  • Zimmer said:

I think they need to stop calling Matty Dea a reject. He's not wrong though.
    edited November 2016
    Perfect conditions
    Brace for summer snake explosion
    VICTORIA’S cold, wet spring means more — and bigger — snakes will be lurking around our homes this summer, reptile experts have warned.

- the (over)use of the word, "explosion", especially in the HS, is ridiculous.
  • RebootReboot If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed.
    Zimmer said:

Perfect conditions
    VICTORIA’S cold, wet spring means more — and bigger — snakes will be lurking around our homes this summer, reptile experts have warned.

But if most of the snakes explode, there will be far less live ones to actually bite people.
    It would seem 'the experts' are wrong.
    Isn't this a good thing to report on?
  • Reboot said:

Zimmer said:

Perfect conditions

But if most of the snakes explode, there will be far less live ones to actually bite people.
    It would seem 'the experts' are wrong.
    Isn't this a good thing to report on?
    If they do explode I hope they are not on planes.
  • BLOODSTAINED DEVILSBLOODSTAINED DEVILS Senior Player / Devils Advocate. - "Only The Truth Will Set Us Truly Free"
    There's only one snake I wanna see exploding this summer .... etc ;)
    They call him The Jet, because he can fly.

No. No he can't.
  • Zimmer said:

For a start, sympathy for any family that has to endure such a situation, but seriously:

"Chris and Brad Scott's brother dies after tragic nut allergy death" (Herald-Sun)

What's a tragic nut?
  • David J RichardsonDavid J Richardson Relevant Avatar King
    Scorpio said:

Zimmer said:

What's a tragic nut?
    Anyone still in the Saga thread.

Rage rage against the dying of the light!
  • Scorpio said:

Zimmer said:

What's a tragic nut?
    Anyone still in the Saga thread.

Rage rage against the dying of the light!
    I can do two things at once!
    From the neighbouring thread:

There was some concern about McLachlan’s availability with Channel Seven raising concerns but influential manager Craig Kelly, who looks after both stars, has apparently smoothed the waters.

Just basic editing:

"And this year they are going global, expecting to raise more than $1 million this year thanks to a growing international love for our firey’s."

From Courtney Johns article.
  • Age editor-in-chief stood down.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/age-editorinchief-mark-forbes-stood-down-after-sexual-harassment-allegation/news-story/9acd5255129772391e28397a00e9ca98

The Age editor-in-chief Mark Forbes has been stood down after a sexual harassment allegation.

Confirming the action after The Australian put questions to The Age’s publisher Fairfax Media, the company said: “Mark Forbes has been stood down pending the outcome of an investigation that is underway.

“Fairfax is committed to a safe workplace and has zero tolerance for any behaviour that does not meet the highest standards. Alex Lavelle, editor of The Age, will oversee the newsroom.”

The Australian understands the allegation was made in relation to an alleged incident that took place at an event linked to the recent The Age Music Victoria Awards.

News of Mr Forbes stepping down after nine months in the top position coincides with the prestigious Walkley Awards in Brisbane this evening, the annual event to recognise and reward excellence in journalism.

Mr Forbes could not be reached for comment.

After starting his career at Fairfax as a cadet in 1985, Mr Forbes was appointed editor-in-chief of The Age in April.

He was installed as acting editor-in-chief in February, replacing Andrew Holden.

Prior to his appointment, Mr Forbes was The Age’s news director for three years, and prior to this, editor of The Sunday Age from 2009 to 2013.

At the time of his appointment to the editor-in-chief position, Fairfax editorial director Sean Aylmer described Mr Forbes as an outstanding journalist “with a keen news sense and belief in quality reporting”.

Mr Forbes has held various roles at the publisher over the last 31 years, including stints as defence and foreign affairs correspondent in Canberra as well as Indonesia correspondent.

He has also worked at ABC’s current affairs program Four Corners and Seven Network.

Fairfax Media is publisher of The Sydney Morning Herald, The Age, WAToday, Brisbane Times and the The Canberra Times.

Good.
  • wimmera1 said:

Good.

Karma bus making a stop.
    fark him and the horse he rode in on
  • RiolioRiolio Maybe it's the TB4 talking
    Zimmer said:

I keep thinking about this one. So goooooood.
    Riolio said:

Zimmer said:

I keep thinking about this one. So goooooood.
    Free drinks for ladies with nuts.
  • From the courier mail:
    "A CHILD rapist has been jailed a decade after his crime when a mother realised what he did to her daughter while cleaning her room."

Not sure who was cleaning the room.
    'Journalism' is the new 'job at Maccas'
  • Headline:
    "Mick Jagger becomes a father for the eighth time at 73"

Wow - he has had eight kids this year?