The continuing death of journalism

Comments

• wimmera1wimmera1 You know I'm right.
    The last few posts have me feeling a little lost...
  • wimmera1 said:

The last few posts have me feeling a little lost...

Best to just accept the human race is de-volving.
  • Alan_Noonan_10Alan_Noonan_10 Iconoclast and blasphemer
    I was pleased to hear that Tony Abbott regards Andrew Bolt as "our greatest public intellectual". What an indictment!

PS it's on the front cover of his book.
  • DeckhamDeckham Going down swinging

I was pleased to hear that Tony Abbott regards Andrew Bolt as "our greatest public intellectual". What an indictment!

Astounding.
  • BacchusfoxBacchusfox Legs of a Champion
    TeeBee said:

Well, The Age in their wisdom has produced an article coined "The secret art of persuasion: Naked City's 12 most influential Victorians" written by John Silvester. At number two they give a lovely little write up for our very own serial rapist and murderer Adrian Bayley. I guess he's an influential victorian.....not sure we needed to be reminded of it.

Thats going to go over well with the waking public on a Saturday morning.

Other mentions on the list to keep the rapist and murderers company was, pig shock-jock Ross Stevenson, small person Alistair Clarkson, Stephen Dank (who?) and our favourite Caroline Wilson.

So...silver lining.

Still shaking my head over this article. Silvester is another journo spud who is puffed up with his own self importance. The Age doesn't have long I reckon.
  • DonsForEverDonsForEver Life-long Bomber Supporter

I don't know who this reflects worse upon - Abbott or Bolt!

Does it matter....neither of them is worth a c**t full of cold snow.
  • I was pleased to hear that Tony Abbott regards Andrew Bolt as "our greatest public intellectual". What an indictment!

Abbott had a Rhodes scholarship too. Farking entitled idiots running this place...
  • RebootReboot If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed.
    edited November 2016

It wouldn't be cold for very long would it.
  • I was pleased to hear that Tony Abbott regards Andrew Bolt as "our greatest public intellectual". What an indictment!

Abbott had a Rhodes scholarship too. Farking entitled idiots running this place...
    Still half asleep and read that as Rodeo scholarship. Need coffee.
    edited November 2016
    It occurs to me that whenever I hear that someone has acquired a Rhodes scholarship, that person is inevitably someone I dislike.
  • Deckham said:

It occurs to me that whenever I hear that someone has acquired a Rhodes scholarship, that person is inevitable someone I dislike.

That's because they are awarded by the establishment to the establishment. In the past it would have been people connected to people with money. Now it's people connected politically.
    Reboot said:

It wouldn't be cold for very long would it.
    You obviously haven't met some of the women I have.
  • edited November 2016
    More evidence of the continuing death of journalism come from today's Age which had not one but two pieces of writing that should not pass in a primary school essay. These were in separate articles and on the front page no less:

"A bald pate with an often aloof demeanour, Mr Tian is.." Since when have we mistaken body parts for people?

Under the headline "7-11 Sprung..." the article with two (!) journos on the byline starts "7-11 has been sprung". Since when is slang acceptable in a serious news report?

More evidence of the continuing death of the Age.
  • More evidence of the continuing death of journalism come from today's Age which had not one but two pieces of writing that should not pass in a primary school essay. These were in separate articles and on the front page no less:

"A bald pate with an often aloof demeanour, Mr Tian is.." Since when have we mistaken body parts for people?

Under the headline "7-11 Sprung..." the article with two (!) journos on the byline starts "7-11 has been sprung". Since when is slang acceptable in a serious new report?

Are they installing spongy floors? I mean, if it's good enough for the TVSC...

More evidence of the continuing death of journalism come from today's Age which had not one but two pieces of writing that should not pass in a primary school essay. These were in separate articles and on the front page no less:

Under the headline "7-11 Sprung..." the article with two (!) journos on the byline starts "7-11 has been sprung". Since when is slang acceptable in a serious new report?

Can a death actually be 'continuing' though?
    Perhaps you meant 'continued dying'?
    Or 'continuing death throes'?
    Was the pate chicken or duck?
  • David J RichardsonDavid J Richardson Relevant Avatar King
    Deckham said:

You haven't seen PeeWee Herman at the end of the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie, I take it?

Deckham said:

You haven't seen PeeWee Herman at the end of the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer movie, I take it?

Well, there is that - I assume it is everlasting torment in Hades or something?

Deckham said:

Is he dead?
    Well, he was coughing up blood last night.
  • David J RichardsonDavid J Richardson Relevant Avatar King
    No, it was the longest and hammiest death scene of all time. They even cut back to him after the closing credits...
    edited November 2016

No, it was the longest and hammiest death scene of all time. They even cut back to him after the closing credits...

Thought you might have been talking about the "little death" he got sprung with in the sex shop, after indulging in a little hand-to-gland combat.
  • edited November 2016
    Deckham said:

I was referring to the thread title. Sorry if that was too cryptic. ; )

Otherwise, please direct your comments to the OP.

Deckham said:

I was referring to the thread title. Sorry if that was too cryptic. ; )

Otherwise, please direct your comments to the OP.

Yep, too cryptic for little ol' me, old bean!
  • "‘He didn’t realise what his duties would be’ DONALD Trump has been President-elect less than 48 hours but there’s already doubt over whether he’ll keep this promise."

The headline on news.com.au.

The article turns out to be about Trump not realising he wouldn't have time to attend a UFC match.
  • ZimmerZimmer Put the pointy pencil in the pepper-po.
    Apparently this is music journalism:

"There isn’t really any profound way to end a piece on Chino Moreno. It is quite obvious that no other singer in rock or metal sounds like him (although many wish they did), and that his influence is ever-present to this day, but perhaps the most telling evidence of his and his bandmates talents is the fact that into the third decade of their continued relevance they remain just as much of a cutting-edge creative force as they were in their heyday, and that is nuts."

Dunno why anyone bothers with anything beyond middle school anymore.

(Also: Deftones are ****.)
  • benftibenfti its the price you pay for playing in the AFL
    Zimmer said:

"There isn’t really any profound way to end a piece on Chino Moreno. It is quite obvious that no other singer in rock or metal sounds like him (although many wish they did), and that his influence is ever-present to this day, but perhaps the most telling evidence of his and his bandmates talents is the fact that into the third decade of their continued relevance they remain just as much of a cutting-edge creative force as they were in their heyday, and that is nuts."

2 things on that. 1. Music journalism is the worst paid writing job you can get. Most of it is done for free, and the people who do it, generally do it for the free stuff or to be involved in that industry, anyone with a modicum of actual writing talent ends up getting bought as record company marketers.

2. Deftones **** rule.

edited November 2016
    benfti said:

Zimmer said:

2 things on that. 1. Music journalism is the worst paid writing job you can get. Most of it is done for free, and the people who do it, generally do it for the free stuff or to be involved in that industry, anyone with a modicum of actual writing talent ends up getting bought as record company marketers.

2. Deftones **** rule.

Agreeing on point 1. is neither here nor there.

Can't agree on point 2. Saw them last night.

I suppose point 3. comes into effect: each to their own.
    That is an appalling paragraph sentence, though.
    edited November 2016
    wimmera1 said:

That is an appalling paragraph sentence, though.

Which was my point, rather than anything else.

@benfti the fact that it isn't a great paying job doesn't mean you need to do a **** job of it. Constructing a sentence isn't that hard. But if your vocation - or the vocation you aspire to - involves constructing sentences - you know communicating stuff - then it shouldn't be too much effort to read over it a couple of times before you commit it to print.

(Still think Deftones are average, at best.)
    edited November 2016
    Zimmer said:

"There isn’t really any profound way to end a piece on Chino Moreno. Don't tell people you can't write. It is quite obvious that If it's that obvious we don't need to be told. No other singer in rock or metal sounds like him Chino Moreno. (although many wish they did), and that His influence is ever-present to this day. but perhaps the most telling evidence of his and his bandmates talents is the fact that Into their third decade of their continued relevance The Deftones remain just are as much of a cutting-edge creative force as they were in their heyday, and that is nuts."

That's not anywhere near perfect, but it's better.