Top 5 Best and Fairest

1. Josh Gibson
2. Cyril Rioli
3. Sam Mitchell
4. Luke Hodge
5. Shaun Burgoyne

2015 Rising Star Noms

Billy Hartung (round 7)

Ins – Jack Fitzpatrick, Conor Glass, Ryan Burton, Kieran Lovell, Blake Hardwick, Luke Surman, Kade Stewart

Outs – Jed Anderson, David Hale, Brian Lake, Jonathan Simpkin, Matthew Suckling, Sam Grimley, Jared Hardisty

My Prediction

Annoyingly, they are one of the greatest teams of the modern era. Well coached and a chance to set themselves apart as possibly the greatest team if they win it all again. Three in a row is amazing, four in a row would be a miracle.

Early on you would think the forward line could be exposed. Roughead likely to miss the first half of the season is an issue as is Hale retiring. He is not a superstar but he has performed well as a ruck/forward. There will be a lot of pressure on Gunston who is a very good player but maybe has been able to hide slightly with Roughead getting the best defender. Bruest, Rioli and Puopolo make for a very good group of small forwards, they all operate very differently but between them average five goals a game. Very handy.

The mids is the area I would think is a chance to fall off slightly this year. Their three most profilic midfielders were Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis. All will be 30 plus this year although none really rely on legspeed. Whilst they have younger mids coming through and get run from the likes of Smith and Hill, they again get less scrutiny thanks to playing under the older players.

The backline is the best performed in the competition. They are disciplined and get the job done. Interesting to note that the chasing of Carlisle in the offseason would indicate they feel they are maybe a little short back there with Lakes retirement. Would be hard to argue with that as well. Frawley found his feet towards then end of the season and then you are looking at Spangher or Fitzpatrick after that. Going to be tough this year.

So all up it looks like they are primed to be knocked off the perch but you just wouldn’t bet on it. I would expect a slower start this year and better form in the second half of the season. They are still a top four team but perhaps slightly more vulnerable than previous years. Would expect 3-4 for mine. I dont think they will win four in a row.

Comments

• Azza78Azza78 He's big, he's red, his feet hang off the bed!
    Fark Hawrhorn and the angry little dwarf that coaches them

And their fans. Fark them too.
  • #anyonebuthawthorn
  • Houli DooliHouli Dooli Half Forward Flanker
    edited February 2016
    Hawks Best 22

Hawthorn
    FB Stratton Frawley Spangher
    HB Birchall Gibson Burgoyne
    C Hill Mitchell Smith
    HF Rioli Schoenmakers Puopolo
    FF Breust Roughead Gunston
    R McEvoy Hodge Lewis

INT Duryea Shiels Hartung Langford
    EMG Ceglar Whitecross Hardwick

With Matthew Suckling, David Hale & Brian Lake gone from premiership side this opens up more opportunities for Billy Hartung, Lanford and possibly Spanger. Pretty happy with team apart from spanger.

With Frawley/Gibson/Stratton in backline they probably don't even need spangher back there.

With Roughead out early in the season it will be interesting who they go tall as replacements. - Ceglar / Fitzpatrick / Burton/Tatupu (NZ Kid). My tip is they will probably play 2 rucks Ceglar & McEvoy..

I will be going along to the football tomorrow night so hopefully will know a bit more about the Hawks/Carlton then.
    (Got free tickets)

Of the new draftees I expect Lovell, Hardwick & Burton to debut this year, and play a couple of games each.
  • David J RichardsonDavid J Richardson Relevant Avatar King

I will be going along to the football tomorrow night so hopefully will know a bit more about the Hawks/Carlton then.

1) there's footy tomorrow?
    2) I don't think it's possible to learn anything from that combination
    3) Fark Carlton
    4) what PRE said above
  • DeckhamDeckham Going down swinging
    i wanted hardwick
  • Deckham said:

i wanted hardwick

Would not be surprised at all if he comes into the forward line and Breust plays more midfield minutes

Isn't Burton's leg still cactus?
  • Houli DooliHouli Dooli Half Forward Flanker

1) there's footy tomorrow?
    2) I don't think it's possible to learn anything from that combination
    3) Fark Carlton
    4) what PRE said above
    haha.
    I hate both Carlton and Hawthorn with a passion so don't care who wins more interested in to see the young guys run out - McKay for Blues and their number 1 pick dude etc, plus have a couple of bevies.
    Expect Hawks to win comfortably.

I am hoping this is the year that Hawthorn fall off the cliff, I don't think Tassie state government can afford to hand out any more premiership bonuses.
  • smoothsmooth MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    No big Free Agent/trade this year, and with Roughy out for the first half of the season it will be far tougher this year to defend their crown than previous. 5 years of playing deep into finals might start to take it's toll as well, but if any team can buck that trend, it's this one.
  • I hope their whole club is found to be infester with peds and they get their flags taken off of them.

I hate them so much, hope they fold and die.

I would love nothing more than for them to miss finals just to see the look on those flogs face epsecially knobs like ,mitchell,smith,hodge,the head ducker,roughead, their coach.

• Rocky IVRocky IV ...............Ill get me coat...
    MAN I LOVE SEEING THEM LOSE.
  • They lost.

Hope its the first of many that they will experience this year
  • Hodge has a broken arm. Probably out for 4
  • BLOODSTAINED DEVILSBLOODSTAINED DEVILS Senior Player / Devils Advocate. - "Only The Truth Will Set Us Truly Free"
    edited March 2016
    How sad.
  • ignorence said:

Hodge has a broken arm. Probably out for 4

Ah thats a shame "in jerry seinfeld voice"

Im sure he can still point with the other hand
  • rossonerirossoneri #standbynickyd
    They'll still win the flag.
  • Was it the arm he punches blokes with, or the arm he elbows blokes with?
  • BLOODSTAINED DEVILSBLOODSTAINED DEVILS Senior Player / Devils Advocate. - "Only The Truth Will Set Us Truly Free"
    edited March 2016

Was it the arm he punches blokes with, or the arm he elbows blokes with?

The irony that it was a bloke pulling out an attempted Hodge loose elbow effort on Hodge himself that caused the injury is (in the words of Bruce) delicious.
    ignorence said:

Hodge has a broken arm. Probably out for 4

Courageously out for four courageous weeks.
    What a courageous broken-armed man he is.
  • IceTempleIceTemple Always Elite

The irony that it was a bloke pulling out an attempted Hodge loose elbow effort on Hodge himself that caused the injury is (in the words of Bruce) delicious.
    Is it the one where Duncan was reported? If so then I expect Duncan to be given 4 weeks for hurting Hodge even though he only hit the arm.
  • Dare say West Coast will be looking for redemption this Weekend, Dawks and Pies at 0-2 would be excellent
    IceTemple said:

Is it the one where Duncan was reported? If so then I expect Duncan to be given 4 weeks for hurting Hodge even though he only hit the arm.
    Hodge actually looked pretty ordinary yesterday
  • Was it the arm he punches blokes with, or the arm he elbows blokes with?

I wish some of our players were known for this.
  • Is there any point hanging sh*t on them now, even if they did fall away this year and miss the Top 4 ?

They've won the last 3 Flags FFS.
    They had no right to get back in that game, yet they hit the front after being more than 5 down.

They sh*t me to tears, but fuk they've been good !
  • Azza78Azza78 He's big, he's red, his feet hang off the bed!
    Good cos of all the coke and horse drugs.

**** em.
    edited March 2016
    bltn said:

Is there any point hanging sh*t on them now, even if they did fall away this year and miss the Top 4 ?

They had no right to get back in that game, yet they hit the front after being more than 5 down.

Yeah sure, but fark whoreforn
    bltn said:

Is there any point hanging sh*t on them now, even if they did fall away this year and miss the Top 4 ?

Certainly looked courageous.

Well, one of them did anyway.

Hodge. Hodgey.
  • DiggersDiggers Tank fly boss walk jam nitty-gritty
    jharper said:

Dare say West Coast will be looking for redemption this Weekend, Dawks and Pies at 0-2 would be excellent

Screw West Coast.
  • bltn said:

Was in training for work today, during a five minute break, one of the women (Hawthorn supporter, went Monday) said the umpiring cost them the game.

After a few minutes of backwards and forwards 'no they didn't, yes they did', (didn't participate but am thinking ffs you can't win them all), one of the guy's pipes up and says in my footy watching years, (he is probably 25) can't remember them losing many.

Shut them up very quickly., was going to thank him but just gave smile, for saying what I was thinking.

• Rocky IV said:

bltn said:

Certainly looked courageous.

Well, one of them did anyway.

Hodge. Hodgey.
    Hodgey makes this guy look like a coward.....

This discussion has been closed.