A little crispy one, Garry

Garry Lyon and best friend Bill Brownless in feud that is threatening AFL Footy Show line-up

February 12, 2016 10:00pm
Mark Robinson

EXCLUSIVE: A feud between Garry Lyon and best friend Bill Brownless has threatened to disrupt the make-up of The Footy Show this year.

The Herald Sun understands the two have fallen out over a deeply private matter which has affected both Lyon and Brownless personally.

Brownless is said to be devastated by the turn of events and has conceded to friends that his mateship with Lyon is virtually over.

It’s believed Lyon, who is said to be under incredible stress because of the situation, hasn’t yet committed to the season-opening show, expected to be on March 23, the day before the AFL season kicks off at the MCG.

The probability of Brownless and Lyon working together this year remains remote.

The feud has put The Footy Show’s line up at risk.

Both Lyon and Brownless, who were contemporaries on the field and have worked together on The Footy Show for at least 15 years, did not return calls from Herald Sun last night.

A senior Channel Nine executive also did not return calls yesterday.

It’s understood people at Channel Nine are aware of the details of why the friendship took a sudden nosedive.

Lyon and Brownless underpin Channel Nine’s flagship sports show, with their blokey humour and close relationship a winner with viewers.

Lyon’s camaraderie with Sam Newman is also a reason why the show has been a TV phenomenon.

Brownless and Lyon are also key on-air talent at radio station Triple M, although the pair are not on the air together.

Billy Brownless is said to have conceded to close friends his friendship with Lyon is virtually over.

Lyon is the face of the station’s game coverage on Friday night and Saturday, while Brownless does a weekday program with James Brayshaw, who is also the co-host of The Footy Show.

Sources told the Herald Sun yesterday Brownless was unaware if he was appearing on the The Footy Show this year.

Lyon’s position will be determined over the coming weeks.

A TV institution, The Footy Show and Brownless came under fire late last year when he called a mother and daughter “strippers” at a junior football function.

AFL chief Gillon McLachlan spoke to Channel Nine managing director Ian Paterson about the sexist gaffes.

It was a difficult year for the ever-popular Brownless.

In July, he spoke of the pain caused by the split with Nicki.

“I didn’t see it coming, so that hurt,” Brownless said.

“And I took a while to get over it. But you’ve got to get back up because that’s what I do, you’ve got to be up and bubbly. We all get down but it’s about getting back on the bike.”

Comments

• Sameolds2010Sameolds2010 Everything is awesome
    Sad for them but that show can rot and die for all I care.
  • Twatter rumour is that the wolf dipped his wick into one of Billy's daughters
  • DeckhamDeckham Going down swinging
    Oh no.
    The Hairy Man and the Fat Man don't like each other anymore.
    What will the Ancient Man do now?

Who gives a fark. Farkin stupid piece of shiit show catering to the lowest kind of humour.
  • IceTempleIceTemple Always Elite

Twatter rumour is that the wolf dipped his wick into one of Billy's daughters

If that is true it is a pretty dispicable thing to do to your best mate.
  • chewy boychewy boy Captain Obvious
    I can only assume Sarah,will be ringing into Eddies radio show Monday. Saying "There`s nothing amiss ,its all a media beat up"
    She's been spot on so far!
  • David J RichardsonDavid J Richardson Relevant Avatar King
    I thought this thread was about the little fish (?) found in someone's rice bubbles.

At least that was a story of importance.
  • brem06brem06 Suboptimal
    Breaking: **** does **** thing.
  • Azza78Azza78 He's big, he's red, his feet hang off the bed!
    IceTemple said:

The rumour I heard is that he gave one (or more accurately, several) to Billy's ex wife.

• AllblackAllblack Voice of Reason
    Azza78 said:

IceTemple said:

The rumour I heard is that he gave one (or more accurately, several) to Billy's ex wife.

Suspect this is closer to the truth. I know nothing but the article sort of says it without actually saying it.
  • Can't wait to hear on my trip home

"Whose wife have you slept with, unusual?"
  • If the Footy Show ends it'll be fantastic.
  • Breaking: James Hird sleeps with Billy Brownless' wife, Garry Lyon unfairly blamed
  • Houli DooliHouli Dooli Half Forward Flanker
    Demetriou says i didnt sleep with anyone.
  • AllblackAllblack Voice of Reason
    Footy show wont end. Brownless will disappear. His shtick could be replaced by any halfwit. Whereas if you lose Garry, then you need to find another vaguely football related personality covered in hair.
  • RebootReboot If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed.
    Azza78 said:

IceTemple said:

Which, if it is the case, means Billy needs to grow up.
    You would have to ask, which part of ex does he not understand.
    He married her, he didn't buy her.
    Reboot said:

Azza78 said:

IceTemple said:

Yeah daughter is one thing but an ex is not so bad.
  • edited February 2016

Aren't they 15 & 17 y/old lol?
    Mind you, a former Essendon Ricky had a dip at my friend when she was underage and their was a 15-20 year age gap
    Could be the [said in really bogan accent] culture

Mind you, a former Essendon Ricky had a dip at my friend when she was underage and their was a 15-20 year age gap
    look a bit older than that
  • RebootReboot If you don't pay your exorcist you can get repossessed.
    IceTemple said:

Reboot said:

Azza78 said:

IceTemple said:

If it was your daughter, you'd rip his head off and sh it down his neck.
    If it's the ex, it's none of your business.
    Reboot said:

Azza78 said:

IceTemple said:

Actually is she an ex or are they just seperated?
  • IceTemple said:

look a bit older than that
    I did some e-stalking
    They'd be 18&20 turning 19&21 this year
    And based on the older ones Instagram posts of her hanging off every male 'celebrity' that comes through Melbourne old Garry may need to get in line
    Reboot said:

IceTemple said:

Reboot said:

Azza78 said:

IceTemple said:

However if they are in love and are both very open with the father then he needs to grow up and accept it. If however he is bonking the daughter secretly and has no interest in a relationship then it opens up the crap stuff.
  • BLOODSTAINED DEVILSBLOODSTAINED DEVILS Senior Player / Devils Advocate. - "Only The Truth Will Set Us Truly Free"
    Oh great .. let's speculate on speculation & rumour, & have the pontificator's pass their oh so astute judgement on how others choose to live their lives & what' is & isn't acceptable.

This is peoples private business & concerns no one but them, ffs ...
    Not so true. They choose to live their lives in the spotlight, therefore their actions are there to see for everyone. These are also the same people who spend their careers focusing on others private lives and making fun of them so why do they become immune to it?
  • Certain WC identities interchange partners. Think Worsfold is with an ex partner of a Weagles player.
  • Reboot said:

IceTemple said:

Reboot said:

Azza78 said:

IceTemple said:

Depends on when events occured. She may not have been an ex at the time
  • IceTemple said:

Reboot said:

IceTemple said:

Reboot said:

Azza78 said:

IceTemple said:

However if they are in love and are both very open with the father then he needs to grow up and accept it. If however he is bonking the daughter secretly and has no interest in a relationship then it opens up the crap stuff.
    I am guessing you don't have a daughter
  • yaco55 said:

Certain WC identities interchange partners. Think Worsfold is with an ex partner of a Weagles player.

Fark me! Have I just stumbled into Womansdayblitz?

• nickyd said:

IceTemple said:

Reboot said:

IceTemple said:

Reboot said:

Azza78 said:

IceTemple said:

I know someone (female) who has a daughter
    Ended up marrying her daughter's year 12 boyfriend before he'd turned 20 lol
    nickyd said:

IceTemple said:

Reboot said:

IceTemple said:

Reboot said:

Azza78 said:

IceTemple said:

You would be guessing wrong. I have a 15 year old and who she chooses to be with when she is an adult is her choice, not mine.