BBFFL#2 2016 Discussion

Welcome one and all to BBFF#2 for 2016 – season number 5!. It is not far away now and given the upheaval our mighty club has faced I am keen to find some way of distracting myself from the reality of real footy. So fantasy it is and Once again I am really looking forward to the season and hope everyone else is equally enthusiastic. As you are all aware by now, we have one coaching change with Silly Billy taking back the reins from Rossoneri. It is great to see how involved Silly Billy has been with trading thus far. I am sure everyone will be super keen to knock off Bargey after he stormed his way to the flag in 2015. I have a feeling 2016 might be the year that coaches who have played the long patient game will start to bear fruits from their list management (well I know I am certainly hoping this is the case!).

So the key dates for this year are as follows:

KEY AFL DATES
NAB Challenge 18 February to 13 March
Round 1 commences 24 March

KEY BBFFL#2 DATES
Final trades to be finalised by 6pm 5th March
Squads to be trimmed to 20 by 8pm 6th March (excluding suspended players who can be kept outside of the 20)
Morning of 7th March a spreadsheet with available players will be circulated
Draft to commence from midday on 7th March
Draft to be completed by Tuesday 22nd March
Partial Lockout for Round 1 at 7.20pm Thursday 24th March

As per previous years I am proposing that we still complete the draft on Blitz. UF does seem to have improved its drafting options, but I am keen to continue the tradition of using the forum that helped to create the league. The final spreadsheet with available players will be sent out prior to the draft for everyone to use. I should be able to update Ultimate Footy as we go as well, meaning squads can be tracked there are well. As we have done in past years, texting can be used if necessary. If you know you are going to be away for a period of time to leave contingencies with someone, there will be plenty of volunteers to take them on your behalf.

In the meantime, please log into UF to select your 20 keepers (plus suspended players). UF will be used for this purpose. For anyone who has traded recently I will add the players once the keepers are finalised.

Good luck to everyone for 2016 and as always let me know if you have any questions or issues.

Comments

• @redbull would you happen to have a list of the available FAs as they are currently before keeper lists are submitted?
    Just curious to see who is there against some of the guys doing well in the NAB games so far.
  • Silly BillySilly Billy I'm in the dirty white van outside your house
    redbull said:

Welcome one and all to BBFF#2 for 2016 – season number 5!. It is not far away now and given the upheaval our mighty club has faced I am keen to find some way of distracting myself from the reality of real footy. So fantasy it is and Once again I am really looking forward to the season and hope everyone else is equally enthusiastic. As you are all aware by now, we have one coaching change with Silly Billy taking back the reins from Rossoneri. It is great to see how involved Silly Billy has been with trading thus far. I am sure everyone will be super keen to knock off Bargey after he stormed his way to the flag in 2015. I have a feeling 2016 might be the year that coaches who have played the long patient game will start to bear fruits from their list management (well I know I am certainly hoping this is the case!).

KEY AFL DATES

KEY BBFFL#2 DATES
    Squads to be trimmed to 20 by 8pm 6th March (excluding suspended players who can be kept outside of the 20)

As per previous years I am proposing that we still complete the draft on Blitz. UF does seem to have improved its drafting options, but I am keen to continue the tradition of using the forum that helped to create the league. The final spreadsheet with available players will be sent out prior to the draft for everyone to use. I should be able to update Ultimate Footy as we go as well, meaning squads can be tracked there are well. As we have done in past years, texting can be used if necessary. If you know you are going to be away for a period of time to leave contingencies with someone, there will be plenty of volunteers to take them on your behalf.

In the meantime, please log into UF to select your 20 keepers (plus suspended players). UF will be used for this purpose. For anyone who has traded recently I will add the players once the keepers are finalised.

Good luck to everyone for 2016 and as always let me know if you have any questions or issues.

None of my trades announced here have been processed on UF so can I nominate my 20 + suspended players once they are all processed?
  • @redbull would you happen to have a list of the available FAs as they are currently before keeper lists are submitted?
    Just curious to see who is there against some of the guys doing well in the NAB games so far.

Apologies I'm away this week so I wouldn't be able to provide until next Monday at the earliest. A search of the current squad thread would show who is currently in the mix to be a keeper.
  • redbull said:

KEY AFL DATES

KEY BBFFL#2 DATES

None of my trades announced here have been processed on UF so can I nominate my 20 + suspended players once they are all processed?
    From memory and I need to look into this you will nominate your keepers minus your traded in players. Then once keepers are finalised I can allocate the traded players to your squad. But let me check once I'm back on my PC next week.
  • wezzawezza Mama, there goes that man!
    I've forgotten. Have we gotten rid of the utility position this year and using:
    5 backs
    7 centres
    5 forwards
    1 ruck
  • '51 Bewick'51 Bewick I'm hunting Wabbit
    wezza said:

I've forgotten. Have we gotten rid of the utility position this year and using:
    5 backs
    7 centres
    5 forwards
    1 ruck

Yep!
  • edited March 2016
    Further to the update regarding the trade period conclusion, please remember that squads need to be trimmed to 20 by 8pm this Sunday - 6 March. This can be done by posting your keepers here or by nominating them on UF. Let me know if you have any issues with UF. When finalising your keepers please remember to include any players you have traded for (especially those not currently allocated to your squad in UF). You will also need to list the suspended players you wish to keep outside of your 20.

Once squads are finalised I will email a spreadsheet listing all available players for the draft. The aim is to get this out on Monday morning. Once circulated the draft can commence.
  • smoothsmooth MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    redbull said:

Further to the update regarding the trade period conclusion, please remember that squads need to be trimmed to 20 by 8pm this Saturday - 6 March. This can be done by posting your keepers here or by nominating them on UF. Let me know if you have any issues with UF. When finalising your keepers please remember to include any players you have traded for (especially those not currently allocated to your squad in UF). You will also need to list the suspended players you wish to keep outside of your 20.

Once squads are finalised I will email a spreadsheet listing all available players for the draft. The aim is to get this out on Monday morning. Once circulated the draft can commence.

Shouldn't that read Sunday 6 March?

• smooth said:

redbull said:

Further to the update regarding the trade period conclusion, please remember that squads need to be trimmed to 20 by 8pm this Sunday - 6 March. This can be done by posting your keepers here or by nominating them on UF. Let me know if you have any issues with UF. When finalising your keepers please remember to include any players you have traded for (especially those not currently allocated to your squad in UF). You will also need to list the suspended players you wish to keep outside of your 20.

Shouldn't that read Sunday 6 March?

Thanks. Corrected now.
  • '51 Bewick'51 Bewick I'm hunting Wabbit
    Can I put David Swallow on LTI please?
  • No 5No 5 Stand-In Substitute Junior Vice President Elect
    What is the go with players positional standings... Are we going with UF's appraisal? I just had a quick look at they review after every three rounds and make adjustments depending on whether a player is playing in those parts of the field etc.
  • No 5 said:

What is the go with players positional standings... Are we going with UF's appraisal? I just had a quick look at they review after every three rounds and make adjustments depending on whether a player is playing in those parts of the field etc.

Yes we are using UF. Any changes they make during the season will apply to our squads.
  • smoothsmooth MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    JAENSCH RETIREMENT, HOOKER, CARLISLE BANS FORCED OPERATORS HANDS IN MARTIN TRADE

The shock retirement of star defender Matthew Jaensch, coupled with swingmen Cale Hooker and Jake Carlisle not being available for the 2016 season prompted the Smooth Operators to make the agonising decision to part with prized big man Stefan Martin, coach Smooth said as he addressed the media for the first time as the BBFFL#2 Trade Period nears it's end. Premiership ruckman Martin, coming off a career-best season, was dealt to the Steez Merchants along with the Operator's 2nd Round Pick (34 overall) for rebounding defender Matthew Suckling and Pick 15 in the upcoming BBFFL#2 draft. The deal looks a good one for both parties with 27 year old Suckling able to play forward and back, flexibility that Smooth has always coveted. "Yeah we knew we'd have to pull the trigger on a trade with one of our bigs. Unfortunately with the ultility spot being abolished for this season we couldn't use that and play both Stef and Grunds (Brodie Grundy), then losing Jaenschy, Hooksey and Buckets (Carlisle), we had to make a move. Piggy (Suckling) will be important for us, we've had our eye on him for a couple of trade periods and it was great we got something done really quickly with Eggs (Merchants coach), I'm disappointed to see Stef go but we got ourselves a ready made player who can play forward and back, plus got a 2nd First Rounder in the draft." With experienced forward Angus Monfries also out for the year, Smooth said he would have to reinforce that part of the ground. Mooted trades for young forward Tim Brromhead are likely to be turned down as the trade period closes on Saturday.

In a 2nd piece of business that involved the club, forward Peter Wright and defender Tom Culter were sent to The Melkmen along with Pick 160 for Picks 115 and 116.
    I'm still struggling to finalise my 20.

16 are locks and I need to pick 4 of the below. Think i'll be watching most of this weekends NAB games. Hickey might be the 20th spot depending on Bris v Saints game.

Brad Hill (C)
    Nick Haynes (B)
    Brandon Matera (F)
    Jack Watts (C,F)
    Harry Cunningham (C,F)
    Shaun Atley (B)
    Caleb Daniel (F)
    Tom Hickey (R,F)
    Zak Jones (B)
    Sean Lemmens (B)
    Dylan Buckley (B)
    Bailey Dale (C,F)
    Sam Frost (R,F)
    Jason Holmes (R)
    Kristian Jaksch (B)
    Sam Frost (R,F)
    Jason Holmes (R)
  • wezza said:

I'm still struggling to finalise my 20.

16 are locks and I need to pick 4 of the below. Think i'll be watching most of this weekends NAB games. Hickey might be the 20th spot depending on Bris v Saints game.

Brad Hill (C)
    Nick Haynes (B)
    Brandon Matera (F)
    Jack Watts (C,F)
    Harry Cunningham (C,F)
    Shaun Atley (B)
    Caleb Daniel (F)
    Tom Hickey (R,F)
    Zak Jones (B)
    Sean Lemmens (B)
    Dylan Buckley (B)
    Bailey Dale (C,F)
    Sam Frost (R,F)
    Jason Holmes (R)
    Kristian Jaksch (B)
    Sam Frost (R,F)
    Jason Holmes (R)

I'm much the same. I have 16 locks with a number of players vying for the last 4 spots.
  • EggsEggs I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it.
    Does anyone want Rory Atkins? Has been a good NAB cup performer, and he's fighting for my last keeper spot.
  • EggsEggs I don't understand the question and I won't respond to it.
    Actually, the guys going cheap;

Kane Mitchell
    Ben Newton
    Rory Atkins
    Xavier Ellis
    Jonathon Giles (very tall)
    Ty Vickery (very tall)
    Jonathan Freeman

• TrevorBixTrevorBix Author, Journalist, Poet and Wordsmith
    I would like to declare my rivalry with the Smooth Operators to be back at an all time high.
  • TrevorBix said:

I would like to declare my rivalry with the Smooth Operators to be back at an all time high.

Any particular reason?

We are well overdue a Seedsman.
  • Am guessing he was spurned on an approach for Stef Martin/Brodie Grundy.
  • Not sure why Bix would need a ruckman when he has got the perfectly fit and firing combo of Looneyburger and Jonathan Griffin!
  • TrevorBixTrevorBix Author, Journalist, Poet and Wordsmith
    edited March 2016
    I had only just finished building my statue of Tim Broomhead for the front door of the club rooms and smooth brought the game into disrepute by cancelling the trade!! A thousand curses on you and Tim Broomhead. I wouldn't take Stef Martin if you had a gun to my head, traitorous scum bag he is. I would prefer to ruck David Mackay.
  • edited March 2016
    Too late to be relevant to this draft and I'm sure there is a perfectly logical reason as to why we haven't got it, but I'd like to discuss the potential for in-draft trading.

Just using my side as an example, currently I've got pick 19 and then my next selection is not until 97.
    There's maybe 15 guys who I'd be happy using 19 on. Odds are one of those guys is available, but if not, it'd be cool to have the option of trading 19 + 97 for a couple of picks in-between.
    Or say we get to pick 70 and there's a guy that I really want that I didn't think would last that far, it'd be nice to be able to trade up to that spot in the draft.

Even if it's restricted to just trading picks and not players think it's another element which could really add something to the draft.
  • Also has the potential to drag the draft out a bit you would think
    Barge and I have discussed this and we both would love the idea of in-draft trading, but like Birch says it has the potential to stretch out the time.

You would need tight drafting timeframes which may not suit everyone.
  • If anyone is after some more picks, I have 150 and 168 I'm not using, happy to bundle them to upgrade one of my earlier picks.

Birch19 (10): 6, 24, 54, 60, 69, 78, 91, 96, 123, 132, 150, 168

• Birch19 said:

If anyone is after some more picks, I have 150 and 168 I'm not using, happy to bundle them to upgrade one of my earlier picks.

Birch19 (10): 6, 24, 54, 60, 69, 78, 91, 96, 123, 132, 150, 168

Why would you not be using these picks? Are you saying because of your suspended players? They count outside of your 20 keepers so you will still be taking 10 picks in the draft.
  • that's 12 listed picks there?

6,24,54,60,69,78,91,96,123,132 are the 10 picks I'm currently using, makes 150 and 168 surplus to needs.
  • Birch19 said:

that's 12 listed picks there?

6,24,54,60,69,78,91,96,123,132 are the 10 picks I'm currently using, makes 150 and 168 surplus to needs.

Apologies that table was wrong – you only have 10 picks. The list at the start of the Draft Pick thread is correct.

Currently your 10 picks are – 6, 24, 54, 60, 69, 78, 91, 96, 132 and 150

The issue was I had added the picks but not taken the picks away from the following trade:

Silly Billy trades pick 54 and 91
    to
    Birch 19 for Ben Brown, Jon Ceglar, picks 123 and 168

I will correct the table now.
  • ok, cheers